- The judge in former President Donald Trump’s New York fraud trial has banned him from speaking in his own defense during closing arguments
- Trump’s lawyer had informed Judge Arthur Engoron of the plan and the judge initially approved of it
- On Wednesday, Engoron rescinded the decision, even though Trump is still expected to appear in court Thursday
The judge in former President Donald Trump‘s New York fraud trial has banned him from speaking in his own defense during closing arguments later this week.
The former president, 77, is a defendant in the case brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James.
His business empire in New York is on the line, and James has asked for his business to be fined $370 million for inflating property prices to get favorable loan deals.
An attorney for Trump informed Judge Arthur Engoron earlier this week that the ex-president wished to speak during the closing arguments and Engoron initially approved the plan, The Associated Press reported.
Now Engoron has rescinded the move, even though Trump is still expected to appear.
A federal judge has rejected Donald Trump’s bid to speak in his own defense in the closing arguments of the blockbuster New York fraud trial
On Friday, James asked Engoron to have Trump pay $370 million – up from $250 million – which she said the ex-president gained due to unlawful conduct.
Trump, a 2024 presidential hopeful, hammered the decision while on the campaign trail Friday night in Sioux Center, Iowa.
‘So if you don’t mind, I was a little bit angry when I walked in. Did you notice the anger? Maybe not. But the corrupt AG wants $370 million for a fee for what I did and I did nothing wrong. Nothing,’ Trump said. ‘This is weaponization at a level that nobody’s ever seen.’
Later, at his second rally in Mason City, Iowa, Trump picked on James again, but this time called her a ‘big slob in New York.’