The 2023 free company cycle may drastically change the WNBA panorama.
A number of All-Stars shall be in search of new offers this offseason, together with Breanna Stewart, Candace Parker and Nneka Ogwumike. The place these gamers land will straight influence the 2023 championship chase and probably power some franchises to launch rebuilds.
Earlier than the rumors begin flying round, right here is the whole lot that you must learn about WNBA free company, together with key dates and necessary monetary figures.
MORE: What are the richest contracts in WNBA historical past?
When does WNBA free company begin in 2023?
- Qualifying affords and core participant designations: Wednesday, Jan. 11-Friday, Jan. 20
- Participant negotiations: Saturday, Jan. 21
- Gamers signal contracts: Wednesday, Feb. 1
WNBA groups will be capable to negotiate with gamers starting on Saturday, Jan. 21. Nevertheless, gamers will not formally signal new contracts till Wednesday, Feb. 1.
WNBA free company key phrases
- Unrestricted free agent: Gamers with 5 or extra years of service can turn out to be unrestricted free brokers, giving them the chance to signal with any crew. Gamers with fewer than 5 years of service can even turn out to be unrestricted free brokers if they don’t obtain qualifying affords.
- Restricted free agent: Gamers with 4 years of service can obtain qualifying affords as a way to turn out to be restricted free brokers. Restricted free company permits a participant’s prior crew to match a contract provide from one other crew.
- Core gamers: A core participant designation provides a crew unique negotiating rights with a participant. Every crew is just allowed to “core” one participant.
- Reserved gamers: Gamers with three or fewer years of service are eligible to obtain a reserved qualifying provide, giving the crew unique negotiating rights.
What’s the 2023 WNBA wage cap?
- Wage cap: $1.4 million
The wage cap for the 2023 WNBA season shall be $1,420,500, per Her Hoop Stats. That is a slight enhance from the 2022 determine ($1,379,200).
The utmost base wage shall be $202,154, and the supermax base wage shall be $234,936.
WNBA free company rankings 2023
The Sporting Information’ Gilbert McGregor has ranked the highest 10 free brokers forward of the negotiation window. Stewart unsurprisingly tops the record, however she is not the one proficient participant set to hit the open market.
- Breanna Stewart
- Candace Parker
- Nneka Ogwumike
- Courtney Vandersloot
- Brionna Jones
- Azurá Stevens
- Tina Charles
- Diana Taurasi
- Emma Meesseman
- Ezi Magbegor
Try McGregor’s rankings right here for a extra in-depth breakdown of every free agent.
Different key dates for 2023 WNBA season
- April 10: WNBA Draft
- April 30: Begin of coaching camps
- Could 5: Begin of preseason video games
- Could 19: Begin of normal season
- July 13-17: All-Star break
- Aug. 7: Commerce deadline
- Sept. 10: Finish of normal season
- Sept. 13: Begin of WNBA Playoffs
- Oct. 20: Newest attainable WNBA Finals date